April 2, 2008

Summer Camps

Two different summer camps have come to my attention that I think might be worthwhile for some people.

University of Michigan Water Polo Camp: this camp is run by my former coach at Indiana Matt Anderson. With apologies to Don Casey, Charlie Busenhart and Paul Baudendistel, Matt is the best coach I have ever played for. He is the head coach of the Michigan women's team and has been a very successful boys coach as well. If you doubt his credentials, check out his bio on Michigan's website. I would highly recommend this camp, but travel is required obviously.

Elite Polo Camp: this is a camp run by guys with very good credentials, but whom I have never met so I can't personally recommend them. But, this camp is here in St. Louis and that is a big plus. Also, in St. Louis, just getting in the water makes you a better player, so there can be no harm in attending this camp (unless they teach bad habits, which I doubt).

These are just two of many camps across the nation and in town that you or your son can attend. My recomendation for this summer would be to play for a local club first and attend these camps only as a supplement to your development. These camps are short term and aren't subsititutes for routine practices and games that happen all summer long with St. Louis clubs.

No comments: